Tuesday, August 31, 2010

what a feast!

A few weeks back, Collin found a new favorite of his at a local bakery: choco walnut cake.
It's moist, the frosting is like pudding, and you get a little frosting heart on top, so all in all it's a bit of paradise.

One day we were walking to get a choco walnut and a semi-cold Thumbs Up (just another cola drink), and I decided I'd rather have an ice cream bar from the ice cream parlor next to the bakery. I had my mind made up to try the FEAST bar, something some of the other girls had tried before and they had good things to say. It's a chocolate ice cream bar dipped in hardshell chocolate, and rolled in bits of peanuts, I believe.
I took the FEAST our of the box as I stepped down and out of the parlor. Collin was still waiting for his treat at the bakery, so I grabbed a plastic stool and continued my FEAST. Well, as you might imagine, ice cream doesn't last long here in India, so it wasn't long before I had FEAST dripping down my arms, onto my pants, and puddling down onto the ground. I scrambled to get the remaining chocolate/peanut combination into my mouth as Collin pulled up a stool right next to me. I showed him my drippy hands and what was left of the FEAST bar with my very convincing frowny face. At the same time, I noticed two women walk up to the bakery's counter, then they both looked in my direction and whispered among themselves. Then there occurred some dialog between the women and the young man working behind the counter. Next moment the two women were at our sides as they leaned over Collin to hand me a bundle of napkins. I pressed my palms together in a salutation form, and bowed my head in gratitude for their kindness in helping me out of my feasty situation.
They walked away and I busily tried to wipe the sticky FEAST off my arms. Collin, then done and satisfied with his choco walnut, told me I had ice cream all over my mouth and face. I immediately broke out laughing at the conjured image in my mind of what those two women must have seen; an American woman covered in melty ice cream, smiling naively at them with her hands pressed together in thanks, all the while having ice cream smeared on her face and body like an infant would.
Thus concludes my favorite Indian moment so far.

2 comments:

  1. Feasty! Sounds like a good moment. . . . how's Carolinius feeling these days? I keep reminding mom, but what with baby's being born and cats being neutered and her full-time job + her side teaching job. . . . guess it keeps slipping her mind. (could you cc: me??? please, oh, please?)
    Love, Gaylynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. what does cc mean?! if i knew what it meant, then i'll probably do it!
    xos!

    ReplyDelete